Traffic Engineer position is responsible for planning, design, and construction support for traffic engineering related projects. Involves transportation improvement projects including traffic signal design, traffic capacity analysis, traffic impact studies, geometric design, and corridor studies for City, County, and State agencies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs and/or designs plans, calculates and prepares engineering documents for respective engineering discipline, including details, equipment schedules and cost estimates for projects, including the selection and application of engineering systems and materials in accordance with the latest governing codes.
- Conducts traffic studies, analyzes findings, prepares reports and makes recommendations.
- Prepares and monitors project budgets for traffic design projects.
- Responsible for project schedules and timely completion of projects.
- Serves as a project engineer and as a designated client contact.
- Assists in construction bids or negotiations, including pre-bid conferences, interpretations and post-bid evaluations and contract preparation.
- Responsible for control of work-in-progress on team projects and ensures accurate client billings on his/her projects.
- Stamps or seals work prepared by him/her or under his/her direction.
- Participates in pre-project presentations, interviews, and promotions as requested by Department Head.
- Responsible for overseeing performance of personnel assigned to their projects.
- Establishes and maintains cordial and professional working relations with clients and contractors and attends client meetings- days or nights.
- May involve travel.
- Coordination of project duties with other engineers, surveyors, technicians, and various staff and sub-consultants.
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.S. in Civil Engineering.
- P.E., registered in the State of ND and/or MN or with the ability to become registered through reciprocity.
- Minimum of five (5) years traffic engineering experience.
- Knowledgeable of design and project development process for traffic related projects.
- Experience in municipal engineering a plus.
- Complete and thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of engineering.
- Ability to prepare engineering records and to write concise technical reports.
- Experience with the development of construction plans, specifications, and contracts for signal projects.
- Ability to learn software to perform traffic modeling, capacity and operational analysis and studies, Syncro/Sim, Traffic, VISSIM, CORSIM, etc.
- Must keep current in job specialty through continuing education.
- Ability to manage several projects.
- Self motivated with initiative to promote.
- Must have valid driver’s license and be insurable.
Moore Engineering, Inc. has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment, and either the Employee or the Employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.